Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rag Rug Finished!

I finished that rag-rug I was working on, it came out to be about 24 inches wide. Now I making one for our little guys bathroom in red & white to match his Dr. Seuss theme he has going on in there!

rag-rug finished


rag_rug_complete

I never did get around to making that tutorial video either, but I did come across these fabulous blogs that will help you (if you are so inclined) in making a rag rug for yourself!

Rag Rug Cafe - Great site with videos if you don't know how to crochet but would like to make a traditional rag rug using the toothbrush method

Moda Bake Shop - How to make a braided rag rug - super easy!

Craft Stylish - A fabulous blog & post on how to crochet (or knit) with fabric!

Enjoy ♥

UPDATE:
Here is my rough pattern, ymmv! I used a Boye size Q 15.75mm hook and my fabric strips were about one inch wide.

dc= Double crochet

Chain 4, join to form a ring

1st round - ch3 (acts as first dc) 9 dc crochet in the ring, join (10 stitches)

2nd round - ch3, 1 dc crochet in the first stitch, 2 dc in each of the other stitches, join (20 stitches)

3rd round - ch3, 2 dc crochet in the first stitch, 1 dc crochet in the next, repeat, join at the end (30 stitches)

4th round - ch 3, 1 dc crochet in the first stitch, *2 dc crochet in the next stitch, 1 dc in the next stitch, repeat from *, join(40 stitches)

5th round - ch3, 1 dc in the next 2 stitches, 2 dc in the next, *1 dc in each of the next 3 stitches, 2 dc in the next stitch, repeat from *, join (50 stitches)

6th round - ch3, 1 dc in the next 3 stitches, 2 dc in the next, *1 dc in each of the next 4 stitches, 2 dc in the next stitch, repeat from *, join (60 stitches)

7th round - ch3, 1 dc in the next 8 stitches, 2 dc in the next, *1 dc in each of the next 9 stitches, 2 dc in the next stitch, repeat from *, join (72 stitches)

8th round - 1 dc in each stitch around, join fasten off, weave in ends

If you want a bigger rug, repeat rounds 3-7 until you gt your desired size, always end your rug with a single row of dc/hdc/sc (or any decorative stitch) all around.

1 comment:

Kara said...

I just came across your blog, and I am enjoying browsing. I just wanted to say that I love that rug! My great-grandmother used to make these; it reminded me of her.